Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Take The Outlander Tour In Scotland


Traveling the World with Christie Cruise and Travel Masters
Alison Christie

Take the Outlander Tour in Scotland

I love to read. I don't read as much as I used to because if a book is really good, it is very hard for me to put it down. I stay up way too late at night reading, making it hard to get up for work the next morning. Several years ago (over 15 years actually), I heard about a series of novels that all of my friends were reading and for a the lack of a better word, obsessing over. The name of the first book was Outlander. The just of the novel is a love story between Jaimie and Claire set in the highlands of Scotland in the 18th century AND the 20th century. Yes, that's right. Clair time travels back in time from the 20th Century, right after World War II through the stones at Craigh na Dun, close to Inverness, Scotland to the 18th century. Ok, you say, stop right there. A time travel love story sounds silly, don't you think. Well, somehow, author Diana Gabaldon makes it all seem possible and after I read a couple of chapters, I was hooked. I read all 4 of the novels that were then currently published in about a week (staying up until 3 in the morning) and then anxiously awaited each new book after that, for a total of eight novels to date. Starting from the first novel, Outlander, the following novels are in order from 2-8: Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager, Drums of Autumn, The Fiery Cross, A Breath of Snow and Ashes, An Echo in the Bone, and Written in My Own Heart's Blood.

As with many novels, the Outlander series is now on television. Starz network is now producing a series based on the books. I confess, I have watched all of them and I give it a fairly high rating. As like most avid readers, I like the books better than the TV series but the producers did a pretty good job in casting. The character of Claire would be the only person that I would not have cast in that role. The actress does a great job but she is not the mental vision of Claire that I pictured in my mind. However, none the less, I enjoyed the series very much. In the books, Jaimie gave the name "Outlander" or "Sassenach" to Claire, which translates to one who is an outsider ignorant of Scottish Highland culture and one of the generally hate English as well.

And now, you can take The Outlander Tour if you wish to travel to Scotland and experience the sites that were depicted in the books. Christie Cruise and Travel have 2 ladies who want to take this trip, so we have been doing some research. You can take a one day excursion through Viator Tours from Edinburgh or 4,6,7 or 10 day tours. There are several tour companies that offer a variety of "Outlander" tours - Celtic Journeys, Clans and Castles, Lynotte Tours, Sceptre Tours, just to name a few. A typical tour will include a visit to Doune Castle, near Stirling and not too far from Edinburgh. This castle poses as Castle Leoch, which is home to Colum Mackenzie and his clan in the books. You can climb the standing stones at "Craigh na Dun" and travel back in time to 1746 and the Battle of Culloden. See the ruined cottage where Jaimie and Claire said their tearful goodbye. Visit Clava Cairns to learn the mysteries of ancient civilizations and their standing stones. Near the small village of Broch Mordha is Broch Tuarach, which doubles as Jamie's homeplace "Lallybroch". These tours will also hit the highlights of the Scottish Highlands as well. When the Gang and I travelled to Scotland, we took a one day tour by motor coach to the Highlands from Edinburgh and we saw several of these sights. On our next trip back to Scotland, we will spend at least 7 days exploring the Highlands. There is so much rich history to learn and breathtaking sights that I want to see.

Call Christie Cruise and Travel Masters
606-324-4555 
If you are interested in pricing for any of these Tours of Scotland.
As always, safe travels and Godspeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Romantic vacations

Romantic vacations I have recently written about couples only resorts and highlighted the most popular of them all - Sandals Resorts.  Ther...